SOLID TIMBER DOORS THAT WILL NEVER MOVE: VULCAN
As architectural trends change and front doors are more exposed to climatic conditions, there is emphasis on providing doors that are stable and durable.
VULCAN is created from thermally modified New Zealand plantation timber. The thermal modification process enhances the timber stability, resulting in less movement and minimal swelling when wet.
Thermally modified wood products have grown in popularity around the world, since the technology was first commercialised in Europe during the 1990’s. Thermal modification dramatically increases the durability and stability of wood. This unique timber takes on a deep chocolate brown colouration that’s aesthetically pleasing, affordable and low maintenance. This effectively creates a new sustainable, environmentally friendly timber product.
Brought to You Using a Unique Process
- Sustainable pine plantations are milled.
- Timber is dried and processed using carbon neutral heat from wood waste. Thermal modification is achieved simply by using steam and high temperatures in excess of 200ºC.
- The real trick to the process however is in the cooling and reconditioning phase. This is achieved by using purpose-built computer-controlled kilns that ensure every stick of timber is modified to the correct specification and quality.
- At the end of the process the timber is around 7% moisture content and the chemical and physical properties have been permanently changed. The resulting product has a reduced equilibrium moisture content with excellent stability and approximately 50% less swelling and shrinkage in the entry door.
- The timber is engineered with vertical grain using a patented lamination process. It is renown that quarter sawn timber is the best, because it produces straight-grain (as opposed to wavy) and avoids knots, decreasing movement and ensuring drying happens at an even rate through the boards.
Abodo Vulcan Timber
- Thermally modified engineered timber.
- Retains natural attractive detail.
- Internationally recognised as being sourced from responsibly managed & sustainable forests.
- Locally grown.
- Free from chemical preservatives
As an undervalued product, a lot of people are simply unaware of how much of a premium timber Vulcan is, from its durability, to its distinctive characteristics it is a brilliant alternative to the conventional timbers we all know.